- Professor, Knowlton Schl of Architecture
- Professor, John Glenn Dean's Office
1810 College Rd
Columbus, OH 43210
Edward [Ned] Hill, PhD, teaches economic development policy, public policy and public finance in both the Glenn College and the City and Regional Planning section in the College of Engineering’s Knowlton School of Architecture. He is associate faculty at the Ohio Manufacturing Institute.
Before coming to Ohio State, Hill was dean of the Levin College of Urban Affairs at Cleveland State University for eight years and was Professor and Distinguished Professor of Economic Development.
He serves as nonresident senior fellow of The Brookings Institution, where he isaffiliated with the Metropolitan Policy Program. He was chair of the Advisory Board of the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s (NIST) Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) from 2007 until 2010. His appointment to the Board ended in April 2014, making him the board’s longest serving member.
He has edited Economic Development Quarterly and is a member of the editorial board of the Journal of the American Planning Association. His latest co-authored book, Economic Adversity and Regional Economic Resilience, is expected to be published by Cornell University Press in 2016.
Crain’s Cleveland Business recognized Hill’s work in 2012 when he was listed in its Who’s Who, 150, Names to Know in Northeast Ohio. Hill is listed in Crain’s 2014 Power 150. Gov. Taft appointed him to Ohio’s Urban Revitalization Task Force, Gov. Strickland named him to the Automotive Industry Support Council, Gov. Kasich placed Hill on the state’s manufacturing task force, and former Speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives Bill Batchelder appointed him to the Cooperative Education Advisory Board of the Ohio Board of Regents.
Hill holds a doctoral degree in economics, urban and regional planning, a Master’s degree in city planning from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a bachelor’s degree in economics and urban studies from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Julie Carr Smyth, 2017, Kasich: Enough with the 'Rust Belt'. Cincinnati Enquirer
- Sue Walton, 2017, Summit County manufacturers, educators tackle worker-shortage issue. Crain's Cleveland Business
- Dan Shingler, 2017, Akron's economy is seeing a nice rebound. Crain's Cleveland Business
- Kevin Kleps, 2017, MLB All-Star Game could be an economic home run for Cleveland. Crain's Cleveland Business
- Kathiann M. Kowalski, 2017, Gas industry, manufacturers push back on efforts to re-regulate Ohio electricity markets. Midwest Energy News
- Jack Torry, 2017, Eight years of Barack Obama: Economic savior, but leaving Middle East mess MOST POPULAR 13 Canton murder plot suspects due in c. The Canton Repository
- Jack Torry, 2017, Trump may slap 20% tax on Mexican exports to pay for wall. The Columbus Dispatch
- Ned Hill, 2017, How To Keep Your Supply Chain From Killing You, Part 4. IndustryWeek
- Ned Hill, 2017, How to Keep Your Supply Chain from Killing You, Part 3. IndustryWeek
- Jacqueline Alemany, 2017, Future of Akron-Canton Airport. Canton Suburbanite
- Jamison Cocklin, 2017, Williams Touts NorthEast Supply Project. Natural Gas Intelligence
- 2017, "The Men Who Take “Women’s” Jobs." The Atlantic
- Allen Bernard, 2017, What is Industry 4.0?. NetworkWorld and ITWorld
- Ned Hill, 2017, How to Keep Your Supply Chain from Killing You, Part 2. IndustryWeek
- Ned Hill, 2017, How to Keep Your Supply Chain From Killing You, Part 1. IndustryWeek
- Rachel Abbey McCafferty, 2017, Will Trump's policies help manufacturing gears turn?. Crain's Cleveland Business
- Jack Torry, 2017, Foreign policy likely to mar Obama’s legacy despite economy gains. The Columbus Dispatch
- Jamison Cocklin, 2017, Ohio Ethane Cracker Site Being Cleared; Investment Decision Still to Come. Natural Gas Intelligence
- Jessie Balmert, 2016, Should Ohio blame Ted Strickland for jobs lost while he was governor?. Cincinnati Enquirer
- Tyrel Linkhorn and Ignazio Messina, 2016, Many lament job losses as auto work moves to Mexico. The Blade
- Jacqueline Alemany, 2016, On a street in Ohio, defiant Democrats flock to Trump. CBS News
- 2016, "May Be the Convention That Future Host Cities Measure." NextCity Magazine
- Ed Leefeldt, 2016, As GOP convenes, a tale of two Clevelands. CBS News
- Doug Livingston, 2016, Trade Ranks High Among Ohio Voter Concerns in This Election. WKSU
- Ron Starner, 2016, How to shake off the 'Rust Belt' label for good. Crain's Cleveland Business
- 2016, Will Trump’s victory be good for Ohio businesses? It all depends. The Columbus Dispatch
- Esther Honig, 2016, What Is A Sanctuary City, And Will Columbus Become One?. WOSU Public Media
- Jack Torry, 2016, Trump’s trade talk more likely to bring recession than jobs. The Columbus Dispatch
- Dan Gearino, 2016, Consumers would be hurt if electricity industry is regulated again, report says. The Columbus Dispatch
- Rachel Abbey McCafferty, 2016, Ned Hill offers some thoughts on what's next in manufacturing. Crain's Cleveland Business
- Jamison Cocklin, 2016, Shell's Proposed Pennsylvania Ethane Cracker Still 'Viable' as Work Continues. Natural Gas Intelligence
- Alana Semuels, 2016, Democrats Don’t Have an Easy Answer for the Rust Belt. The Atlantic
- Doug Livingston, 2016, Free trade a top issue for campaigns, not Ohioans. Akron Beacon Journal