Manufacturing policy work and outreach conducted by OMI is based on its track record connecting companies with university resources, removing barriers between academic and industry and showcasing the capabilities and technical leadership of Ohio resources. Below is a sampling of past OMI projects that tapped into the rich resources available at Ohio State and its partners:
- Provided access to an Ohio State subsonic wind tunnel for drag measurements on golf club heads to optimize club designs.
- Provided access to tensile testing equipment and fixtures to test new products.
- Provided a welding engineering faculty expert to a manufacturer to consult on best practices for welding operations.
- Proposed new exterior design for current product to improve aesthetics and drive market demand for product.
- Created material specification for new material to ensure quality standards are met.
Manufacturing / Operations
- Evaluated and recommended the optimal welding operation for a beverage container manufacturing process to meet output targets and reduce cost.
- Performed computational fluid flow and heat transfer analysis of manufacturing operation to improve efficiency and reduce heat loss.
- Provided faculty expert to perform part failure analysis and recommend new manufacturing operation(s) for failure avoidance.